Putting Things in Perspective

Tippecanoe Treasures

A miniature collectible series showcasing local historic landmarks

Collect History in Miniature

Tippecanoe County’s history is marked by majestic architecture, now collectible in miniature, thanks to the Tippecanoe Treasures Series created for ten years 1997-2006, the Association commissioned the creation of two miniature replicas of local buildings of historical significance. Cast in porcelain, each detailed, hand-painted treasure carefully captures the landmarks’ features. Buildings may be displayed with lighting from the inside.

The treasures come together as attractive home or office streetscapes for holiday décor or all-year displays. And they make thoughtful gifts for residents and those now living away from their Hoosier roots.

Most of the treasures are sold out and the manufacturer is out of business. We regret that the most popular treasurers are no longer available from the Association.  There are still some of the later dated ones available at both the Tippecanoe Battlefield History Store, 200 Battle Ground Ave., Battle Ground, IN 47920 and the Arganbright Genealogy Center at 1001 South Street, Lafayette, IN.

2006

Pythian Home

Pythian Home
Lafayette

Built 1926

St. Elizabeth Hospital

St. Elizabeth Hospital
Lafayette

Built 1876

2005

Commandant's House

Commandant's House
West Lafayette

Built 1895
The Commandant’s House was built as part of the Indiana State Soldiers’ Home. The building was rescued from decay, renovated and is now operated as a Bed and Breakfast.

Von's Shops

Von's Shops
State St., West Lafayette

Built mid-1890s
The Stinespring- Murdock Building was built as apartments with a later part dating from 1899-1907. It was occupied by the Lewis Grocery around 1910, and Deac’s, the major Purdue bookstore of the early-to-mid 20th century. The corner has been occupied by Harry’s Chocolate Shop since 1919.

2004

Long Center

Mars Theater
(Long Center for the Performing Arts)
111 N. Sixth St., Lafayette

Built 1920
The Luna Amusement Company tapped local talent, including the Nicol, Scholer and Hoffman architectural firm, to design and build this neoclassical vaudeville house seating 1,200. It was given to the city in 1977 and renamed The Long Center.

St. John's Church

St. John’s Episcopal Church
600 Ferry St., Lafayette

Built 1857-58
This Gothic revival church, expanded a number of times over the years, once served as a stop on the Underground Railroad.

2003

Falley-Wright House

Falley-Wright House
Now John Phillip Sousa Foundation
New York and 6th St., Lafayette

Built 1862
Lafayette’s only house built in the true Italian villa style, this home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Fort Ouiatenon

Fort Ouiatenon Blockhouse
3129 South River Road, West Lafayette

Built 1930
Constructed of timbers from the Monon Shops, the blockhouse was a gift of Dr. Richard Wetherill. It replicates the original Ouiatenon blockhouse and serves as the centerpiece of the Tippecanoe County Historical Association’s activities at Fort Ouiatenon.

2002

Frozen Custard

The Frozen Custard
Main and Wallace streets, Lafayette

Built 1949
Built to replace a former igloo-style building and utilizing the original neon roof logos, this building was influenced by the art deco movement and continues to be a local tradition.

Potter-Haan Mansion

Potter-Haan Mansion
State Street, Lafayette

Built 1904
Constructed and displayed at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, this colonial revival masterpiece was purchased after the fair by William Potter. It was disassembled, shipped by train and reassembled in Lafayette for his family home. It has since been purchased and restored by the Haan family.

2001

McCord Candies

McCord Candies
Fifth and Main streets, Lafayette

Built 1865-70
Generations of residents have sipped chocolate sodas at this Second Empire building in the heart of downtown’s arts and entertainment district.

Morton Center

Morton School
(Morton Community Center)
222 N. Chauncey, West Lafayette

Built 1929
Lafayette architect Walter Scholer Sr. designed this classical revival school, deemed the most appropriate image for public buildings associated with knowledge, learning and the arts. It served as West Lafayette’s only elementary school until 1955, and continued operating as a school until 1985. It’s now owned and operated as a community center by the city.

2000

Five Points Fire Station

Five Points Fire Station
(Historic Five Points Fire Museum)
1511 Main St., Lafayette

Built 1922
Operating as Fire Station No. 3 for nearly 80 years and serving downtown, this building is a prime example of craftsman architecture.

Jefferson High School

Jefferson High School
Now Historic Jeff Centre
Ninth and Brown streets Lafayette

Built 1912
This neoclassical design with elaborate limestone trim operated as Jefferson High School from 1912 until 1969, and then as an Ivy Tech State College facility. It was renovated in 2004 and is now a 74-apartment residential complex.

1999

St. Mary's Church

St. Mary’s Cathedral
1207 Columbia St, Lafayette

Built 1866
A grand steeple and soaring sanctuary mark this cathedral on what was once known as Seminary Hill. It’s been renovated and expanded several times since its original construction.

Wells Center

Albert A. Wells Memorial Library
(Wells Community Cultural Center)
638 North St., Lafayette

Built 1927
Albert Wells funded this neoclassical style library, designed by Lafayette’s Walter Scholer Sr. It served as a public library until 1989 and now houses Tippecanoe Arts Federation Offices, IN Fiddlers’ Gathering Office, three art galleries, meeting rooms, and performance spaces.

1998

Cyrus Ball Mansion

Cyrus Ball Mansion
South Ninth St., Lafayette

Built 1865-69
The centerpiece of historic Ninth Street Hill, the Ball home blends Second Empire and Italianate architectural styles and includes elaborate brick, wood and wrought iron details. The home has been occupied by members of the Ball family since its construction.

Big Four Depot

Big Four Depot
Now a transportation, community facility at Riehle Plaza
200 N. Second St., Lafayette

Built 1901-2
This brick and limestone building constructed at Second and South streets by two railroads, including one nicknamed the “Big Four,” served as a train station until the early 1970s. It was partially restored in 1979, given to the City of Lafayette in 1983, and in 1994 moved to its present location at Riehle Plaza.

1997

Moses Fowler House

Moses Fowler House
(Currently Out of Stock)
909 South St., Lafayette

Built 1851
Local merchant Moses Fowler built this Gothic revival mansion for his home in 1851. It’s considered the best residential example of the style in Indiana.

Tippecanoe County Courthouse

Tippecanoe County Courthouse
301 Main St., Lafayette

Built 1882-84
The third courthouse on the site, this building combines several architectural styles. It has 100 columns, nine statues and a dome with four clocks.